La Factoría Española de Cristalización is a collaborative Project of nine Spanish research groups financed by the programme Consolider/Ingenio-2010, the Junta de Andalucía and the Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, whose aim is to create an integrated platform for research and services in crystallization and crystallography:
- To generate know-how and scientific excellence by developing research collaborative projects in frontier topics.
- To create added value by delivering services and technological solutions to companies and research groups.
- To foster the training of young researchers in crystallization and crystallography by organizing and supporting educational activities that can ensure a position of leadership in the future.
La Factoría is conceived as an environment combining frontier research in Crystallography and Crystallization with a strong service component to support companies and research groups in biomedicine, pharmacology, biotechnology, nanotechnology, nature sciences, materials science, etc. Our strength relies on the fact that we treat each scientific problem on a case by case fashion from a rational standpoint.
La Factoría offers services in three main areas:
- Crystallization of biological molecules (including the expression and purification of proteins).
- Crystallization of molecular compounds encompassing any type of organic and inorganic materials.
- Structural determination and characterization by X-ray diffraction (both single crystals and polycrystalline materials).